Natural Science Adaptation Reflection

Throughout this assignment, I have learned a lot of skills about writing, interpreting data in the IMRAD format format, and audience; although I learned a lot of important techniques and skills and sharped skills I already had, I believe that learning how to write to a specific audience will be the most beneficial of them all. I believe this because no matter what discipline or reason for writing, the audience must be kept in mind and the text must be refined so they can understand what they are reading or what the author is trying to tell them.

Before this assignment, I had no idea how to write to an audience and this paper was mostly graded on how well we explained a scientific experiment to the readers. By the end of the assignment, I knew exactly how to write to an audience, of high school educated people anyway. I learned how to read my own work as the intended audience and edit my work if I saw a term or phrase that they wouldn’t understand. I am very grateful that we had a lot of practice in class to help with this skill.

The most difficult part of this assignment, in my opinion, was the author’s note because I had trouble reaching the length requirement since most of what I did was define jargon. I believe the adaptation was easier because I really enjoyed my article so as I would re-read the article to find more information to summarize, I continued to learned more and more and my interest would deepen every time.